Hemming+Hart’s Technology Commercialisation group comprises of experienced lawyers who bring with them skills and know-how developed over years of working for companies in the information technology and innovation industries.
Our technology clients include businesses such as software developers, IT service providers and online businesses, as well as those that use innovative technology as a core aspect of their business operations in either manufacturing or the provision of services.
The Technology industry team’s main areas of expertise include:
- providing strategic advice on intellectual property protection, enforcement and commercialisation of technology;
- providing advice on e-commerce related legal issues and preparing e-commerce specific legal documents including website terms and conditions, online terms of sale and privacy policies;
- preparation of commercial agreements and contracts, such as manufacturing agreements, development and marketing agreements, confidentiality agreements and distribution agreements;
- preparation of all types of information technology agreements and contracts, including various licensing agreements, agreements for web development, software development, IT procurement;
- providing business structuring and advice for technology set-ups;
- providing advice on strategic and large scale acquisitions and on trade sales for technology companies;
- providing capital raising advice, including everything from assisting to raise seed capital to disclosure exempt capital raising to large scale stock exchange listings;
- advising on employment law and OH&S issues;
- handling all forms of commercial litigation and dispute resolution.
The Technology team’s recent major transactions have included the following:
- Advising the inventor of various new life saving technologies in respect of intellectual property protection, business structuring and capital raising.
- Distribution agreements for a locally based technology company expanding into markets in New Zealand and the United States of America.
- Agreements and documentation for the development and production of a multimedia health and fitness product specifically designed for internet based distribution.
- Advising on all aspects of trade mark registration and applications to the trade mark offices for registrations of trade marks based on prior use and recognition in the market place.
- Advising on all aspects of joint venture arrangements and shareholders agreements.
- Advising a start-up company on all aspects of establishing an online shopping mall, including seed capital raising, corporate governance, brand protection and e-commerce issues.
- Acting for several market leading manufacturing businesses in relation to their national and international distribution strategies (including in the construction equipment, security products, alcoholic beverage and pet product industries).